Three people were injured when a boat exploded last week in North Carolina after 28 gallons of fuel were inadvertently pumped into a fishing rod holder instead of the gas tank, according to media reports.

WECT reported another boater noticed a sheen of gas on the water and told the men to call a tow company instead of cranking up the boat because it might cause an explosion, but a spark ignited the fuel when a battery was disconnected.

Three men were injured, and two were transported to a local burn clinic with non-life threatening injuries, WECT reported.