Lake Lindley gets new universally accessible fishing pier
NCWRC helps increase fishing access for children, wheelchair-bound anglers.
A new pier will make it easier for those in wheelchairs and children to fish Lake Lindley.
The pier, which incorporates low handrail sections to make it easier for children and anglers in wheelchairs to cast lines, is the result of a partnership between the NWRC and the Greensboro Parks and Recreation Department.
The floating, T-shaped pier features an 8-foot wide walkway and extends 91 feet from the bank, ending with an 11-foot-by-48-foot platform.
To further enhance fishing opportunities Commission staff installed a floating, solar-powered fish feeder within casting distance of the new pier. They also stock catchable-sized channel catfish every month from April through September to supplement existing bass and sunfish fishery.
The fishing pier, floating fish feeder and channel catfish stockings are features of the Commission’s Community Fishing Program, a cooperative venture between the Wildlife Resources Commission and local governments to improve fishing opportunities in city and county parks.
The Commission will pay for 75 percent of the fishing pier, fish feeder, catfish stockings and fish feed through the Sport Fish Restoration program, while Greensboro Parks and Recreation will pay the remaining 25 percent.
“The Community Fishing Program allows parks to stretch their budgets by cost-sharing amenities, such as monthly stockings of catfish, installation of fish feeders and construction of fishing piers like the one we built at (Lake Lindley’s) Country Park,” said Bobby Glenn Kimbrell, a fisheries development technician with the Commission’s Division of Inland Fisheries. “With greater densities of fish in the lake and better access to the fish, Country Park is more than just a park; it’s a fishing destination for anyone who wants to reel in a nice catch.”
Along with the new fishing pier, Country Park offers visitors BarkPark, an off-leash dog park, another fishing lake, nature, hiking and biking trails and eight picnic shelters. It is located at 3905 Nathanael Green Drive and is open from 8 a.m. until dusk, weather permitting.
For more information about Country Park, contact Greensboro Parks and Recreation, or call 336-373-3648.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
North Carolina Sportsman is the complete hunting and fishing magazine for North Carolina.
Devoted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities in the wetlands,
North Carolina Sportsman is the information guide for North Carolina's most active hunters and fishermen.
Posted on Yesterday at 6:01 am by Craig Holt
Posted on April 11 at 5:54 am by Dusty Wilson
Posted on April 08 at 12:01 pm by Tony Garitta
Posted on April 02 at 6:01 am by Dusty Wilson
Posted on March 19 at 10:31 am by Tony Garitta
|Reports / Forum|
April 15 at 7:38 pm | 37 Views
22 hours ago | 15 Views
April 14 at 10:51 pm | 41 Views
Yesterday at 5:04 pm | 14 Views
Yesterday at 5:30 pm | 54 Views