Sink has big BFL payday
Winston-Salem angler cashes in at High Rock
David Wright and Chris Brown of Lexington won the June 30 Yadkin Team Trail event on High Rock with this 19.99-pound catch that included the day’s big bass at 6.61 pounds.
Sink caught several of his biggest fish on a jig in 10 to 12 feet of water. For his victory, Sink collected $3,632, a $1,000 bonus from Mercury, and a $2,000 bonus from the Ranger Cup program.
His closest challenger, James Blankenship of Lexington, placed second with 20 pounds even and won $1,816. David Wright, also of Lexington, finished third with 16-12 and earned $1,210.
Todd Harris of Pfafftown had 15-14 to take fourth and $847. Robert Walser of Lexington ranked fifth with 15-13 and received $726, plus a $1,000 bonus from Evinrude.
Maurice Parent of Taylorsville had the big fish of the day, a 5-pound, 13-ounce bass worth $465.
Other North Carolina anglers in the top 10 were: Derek Tolley of Winston-Salem, sixth with 14-8 for $666; Wayne Hauser of Mooresville, seventh with 13-5 for $605; Shane Lineberger of Lincolnton, eighth with 12-9 for $545; David Williams of Maiden, 10th with 12-2 for $424;
Thomas Jones of Kannapolis had the best finish among co-anglers from North Carolina, placing second with 11-10 and banking $908. Jerry Hayden of Charlotte was third with 10-15 for $606; Marty Williams of Thomasville was fourth with 10-13 for $424, and Tommy Swicegood of Salisbury was fifth with 10 pounds even for $363.
Others in the top 10 were: Frank Brinegar of Salisbury, sixth with 8-14 for $333; Bobby Henderson of Charlotte, seventh with 7-9 for $303; Dean Minor of Trinity, eighth with 7-4 for $272; Dean Majors of Durham, 10th with 6-13 for $212;
Wilks scores twice
Dustin Wilks of Rocky Mount, a North Carolina Sportsman columnist, bagged $20,000 for two weeks’ work in Wisconsin in late June.
Wilks finished 41st and won $10,000 at the June 21-24 Bassmaster Elite tournament on the Mississippi River out of LaCrosse, Wis. He finished with a three-day total of 36 pounds, 14 ounces.
He won another $10,000 for finishing 45th at the Bassmaster Elite Series tournament the following week on Lake Michigan out of Green Bay. He boated a three-day catch of 31 pounds, 13 ounces.
Wolak leads NC contingent in FLW
Seven North Carolina bass pros finished in the money at the June 28-July 1 FLW Tour event on New York’s Lake Champlain.
David Wolak of Wake Forest had the best finish among the North Carolina anglers, taking sixth with 73-1 and banking $14,006.
Matt Arey of Shelby took 23rd with 34-1 for $9,386; David Fritts of Lexington finished 37th with 32-10 for $8,546; Chris Baumgardner of Gastonia was 46th with 31-9 for $8,126; and Bryan Thrift of Shelby took 49th with 31-4 for $8,126.
Co-anglers Daniel Ferguson of Durham and Bryan New of Belmont placed 18th and 26th, respectively. Ferguson earned $1,120, and New collected $952.
Altman takes LBAA event in Kentucky
Monica Altman of Angier won her first tournament on the pro side of the Lady Bass Anglers Association, capturing the July 13-14 Larry Shaffer Memorial Tournament on Kentucky Lake.
Altman’s two-day haul of 30 pounds, 13 ounces included the big fish of the event, a 6.32-pounder. She received $3,649 for first place, $500 for big fish, and a $150 bonus.
Yadkin Team Trail, High Rock, May 26
1. Thomas File-Thomas Ludwick (Salisbury), 21.37, $435; 2. Bobby Lovings (Salisbury)-Dwight Morgan (Gold Hill), 17.88, $250; 3. Gary Freeze-Jarrett Freeze (Landis), 17.06, $135; 4. Jimmy Hughes-Dwayne Hughes (Lexington), 15.14, $95. Big fish: File-Ludwick, 5.68, $97.50.
Yadkin Team Trail, High Rock, June 30
1. Chris Brown-David Wright (Lexington), 19.99, $386; 2. Thomas File-Thomas Ludwick (Salisbury), 13.18, $200; 3. Rod Poole (Salisbury)-Marty Williams (Thomasville ), 11.21, $85. Big fish: Brown-Wright, 6.61 pounds, $71.50.
Yadkin Team Trail, High Rock, July 14
1. Phillip Hedrick (Salisbury)-John Gallimore (Lexington), 13.79, $415; 2. Dwayne Hughes-Jimmy Hughes (Lexington), 13.53, $239; 3. Steve Sink (Winston-Salem)-Robert Mixon (Lexington), 13.52, $110; 4. John Drew (Gold Hill)-David Horton (Albemarle), 13.25, $90. Big fish: Bobby Lovings (Salisbury)-Dwight Morgan (Gold Hill), 4.29 pounds, $91.
Southern Championship Trail, Lake Tillery, June 30
1. Buzz Dunlap (Mt. Gilead)-Pete Morris (Troy), 17.33, $700; 2. David Drye (New London)-Robert Parrish (Albemarle), 14.19, $300; 3. Gary Abbott (Biscoe)-Greg Gooch (Troy), 14.11, $120. Big fish: Dunlap-Morris, 5.75-pound bass, $160.
Adam & Eve Trail, Badin Lake, July 14
1. Don Luther-Susan Luther (Troy), 13-11, $162.50; 2. Ron Nelson-Carmen Nelson, 13-10, $97.50; 3. Larry Johnson-Maryann Johnson, 12-04, $65. Big Fish: Don Luther-Susan Luther, 4-9, $65.
Carolina Anglers Team Trail, High Rock, June 24
1. Steve Sink (Winston-Salem)-Tony Foster (Lexington), 20.61, and big fish, 5.45 pounds, $1,006; 2. David Wright-Chris Brown (Lexington), 19.55, $300; 3. Dean Minor (Trinity)-Scott Hensley, 16.95, $200; 4. Orlando Giles (Lexington)-Jeremey Albright, 16.75, $120.
Boats Unlimited Piedmont Bass Classic,
Jordan Lake, June 23
1. Thomas Sheffer (Cary)-Ken McNeill (Raleigh), 21.45, $10,000; 2. Jason Suggs (Fayetteville)-Britten O’Quinn (Linden) tied Robert Williams Jr., (Rocky Mount)-Justis Bobbitt (Edenton), each team receiving $872.50; 4. Mark Herndon (Bahama)-Jay Garrard (Durham), 19.19, $520; 5. Scott Dunn-Stewart Adams (Four Oaks), 18.20, $472. Big fish: Thomas Sheffer-Ken McNeill, 7.58 pounds, $826.
JB Custom Rods Piedmont Bass Classic,
Jordan Lake, July 14
1. Chris Wood (Wake Forest)-Tyler Faggart (Julian), 19.76, $840; 2. Mike Hodge -Tim Wall (Clayton), 19.47, $500; 3. Doug Stallings (Stem)-T.J. Althaus (Durham), 17.81, $360; 4. Jason Suggs-Britt O’Quinn (Fayetteville), 17.42, $280; 5. Ken Wall (Asheboro)-Ben Cannon (Apex), 16.58, $220; 6. Scott Smith (Apex)-Tony Woodard (Four Oaks), 16.20, $120. Big fish: Stallings-Althaus, 6.75 pounds, $392.
Norman Monday Night Trail, Lake Norman, July 2
1. Cliff Kirby (Catawba)-Butch Holder, 13.85; 2. Brandon-Bailey Abernathy, 10.55; 3. Charles Hobb-Todd Alexander, 10.35; 4. Roger Wood, 9.80; 5. David-Joseph Wheeler, 9.55.
ABA Couples Series, High Rock, July 14
1. Paul Tsiolkas-Jackie Tsiolkas (Winston-Salem), 14.42, and big fish, 5.12 pounds, $315; 2. Terry Wien-Sue Wien (Lexington), 8.60, $210.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
North Carolina Sportsman is the complete hunting and fishing magazine for North Carolina.
Devoted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities in the wetlands,
North Carolina Sportsman is the information guide for North Carolina's most active hunters and fishermen.
Posted on May 06 at 9:00 am by Tony Garitta
Posted on April 01 at 7:00 am by Tony Garitta
Posted on March 01 at 7:00 am by Tony Garitta
Posted on February 01 at 7:00 am by Tony Garitta
Posted on January 01 at 7:00 am by Tony Garitta
|Reports / Forum|
User Submitted Videos
|Calendar of events|