Dilsaver, 5 More Tar Heels Among SKA Nominees
N.C. Sportsman's own Capt. Jerry Dilsaver leads a group of 6 Tar Heel nominees for the July voting for the SKA Kingfish Hall of Fame.
That’s because six of the 12 are North Carolina natives.
The N.C. nominees include:
• Oak Island’s Jerry Dilsaver, the promotions director/staff writer and columnist for North Carolina Sportsman Magazine. He was a charter member of the organization, served on the committee that authored most of SKA’s still-used competition rules and won the 2001 23-foot-boat-under national title;
• Jim Davis, the first SKA national champion in 1992 and a promoter of the Swansboro Rotary Club KMT;
• Lonnie Broadwell of Long Beach, for whom the SKA’s Senior Angler of the Year Award is named;
• Legendary angler Clayton Kirby, a Richlands native who moved to Wilmington and dominated tournament king mackerel fishing in the 1980's and 1990's (he moved to Florida about 10 years ago);
• Two-time national champion Jack Wood, and;
• Tommy Howell, a champion angler who happily passed on advice to anyone who asked.
Other nominees include Georgia’s L.A. Denzer (SKA charter member); Joe Bruce of Florida (1992 Angler of the Year), Bob and Susan Woithe of Florida (most famous husband-wife SKA team); Rick Smith of Georgia (two-time SKA champion and ’96 Angler of the Year); Alabama’s Marcus Kennedy (pioneered upper Gulf king fishing and holds that area’s all-time victory mark); and Ginger Shook, Lady Angler of the Year (1998, 1999), she helped husband Steve win the ’98 Angler of the Year title and at times was a teammate of SKA’s first all-female crew aboard the Contendress.
Only SKA members may vote for HOF nominees, which they can do at www.fishska.com.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
North Carolina Sportsman is the complete hunting and fishing magazine for North Carolina.
Devoted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities in the wetlands,
North Carolina Sportsman is the information guide for North Carolina's most active hunters and fishermen.
PIEDMONT BASS CLASSICS $10,000 SPRING TEAM BASS TRAIL QUALIFIER #4 RESULTS Saturday April 16th, 2016 ~ Kerr Lake