Please Sign In


New To Sportsman Network?
  • Captain Cook Charters

    Reply
     
    After four cancellations in the last week of 2012, spirits were down for sure. Then the forecast for the first week of 2013 was released and nothing changed. All week long looking, looking, and more looking at NOAA wave forecast it seemed Saturday might be the only day of week to sneak out. Unfortunately no trip was scheduled for Saturday. It used to be in years past not only myself but every captain in Venice were geared up and ready for what is supposed to be the beginning of lump season. Now it seems only a couple of us diehards are still trying to get out there early and set the precedent for all others to follow. DUCKS fly and I don't care. DEER roam and I don't care. Call me crazy but I believe I killed enough dirty birds in my life. It seems I知 always given deer sausage, so why wouldn't I be dying to swallow some salt water. It痴 absolutely my favorite thing to do in January. Anyway, we got a late call Thursday from a group from Houston who had never been to Venice. I explained the situation, which wasn't looking good at all. 15 to 20 knot winds out the Northeast. NOT GOOD. They still believed and insisted they could handle it. As much as I wanted and needed to fish I called Capt. Chris to see if he wanted to go. At first it was a definite NO. I told him and crew we would check the forecast again and go from there. Well after it didn稚 get any better and I realized our crew was on the way, we had no choice. We figured we could and would make the best of it. The 39 FOUNTAIN was definitely put to the test on Saturday for sure. We needed all 39 foot of it. We made it out about three miles and were surprised it wasn稚 that bad, but once we reached the rip where the pretty blue water was it was all that was advertised for sure. We started out behind a shrimp boat which we all thought was a blessing. All our hopes quickly faded after two drifts behind her with not even shark bite. Then out of nowhere another shrimp boat appeared. Same story though. NOTHING. Then we traveled to our first stop for some possible tuna action, floating big mullets around some close in rigs were our only option on a day like Saturday. With no results, we moved on to dropping down for some AJS but again had no luck. From there we didn稚 have to travel far or against the angry sea(thank GOD) for our luck to change. First, jig down and there they were. Anything on a day like this was good. Then next drop, tripled up on AJs. WOW! We only needed one more for a limit, which came easy. Easier than they been in a long time. I guess the big waves made them hungry. WHO knows? As we approached the structure I did notice on the sounder what seemed to be some wahoo marks. I knew that would be our next targeted species after our AJS. We finished jacks, tied on our favorite baits and then started surfing the waves around rig. First pass was hooked up. Reel was screaming and we were pumped. Sad to say, it was another AJ. Oh well it was fun for the angler. Then after drifting off the rig really fast due to the relentless wind and waves, we put out our winners again. Immediately we tripled up. I knew this couldn't be AJS again. We lost one of the three. But we put two nice HOOS in the boat. Then to my surprise, our group was ready and had enough. I still had some grouper on my mind. I figured we had a good shot at them, but couldn稚 talk them into staying out in that **** weather any longer. So we finished with five happy guys who were excited to see the calm of the river. Five good Amberjack and two nice Wahoo. One went 87 pounds. We still have plenty days open in February and few left at the end of this month. So if you want some, come and get it. http://www.captaincookcharters.com. We are geared up and ready to go.
    Reply