The team of Brandon Tate, Bubba Owens, Keaton Moore and Jachob Moore of Lexington set a record in the N.C. Catfish Association Tournament Series (NCCATS) by catching a 52.4-pound flathead, the largest ever caught in a series event on High Rock.
The big catfish helped them finish first in a Sept. 15 tournament with a total of 92.1 pounds. They won $200 for first place and added $120 for the big fish.
Chris Fraley of Mount Holley and Dennis Leonard of Harrisburg were a distant second with 81.5 pounds, taking $100. Scott Briggs and Michael Kearns of Southmont took third with 78.7 and won $60.
North Carolina anglers cash in on Potomac
Five North Carolina fishermen cashed checks at the Sept. 6-8 EverStart Series Northern Division tournament on Marylandís Potomac River.
In the Boater Division, Ron Wolfarth of Oakboro placed 21st with 25 pounds, 13 ounces, and won $1,268, and Christopher Carmell of Moyock ranked 28th with 24-08 and collected $1,177.
Co-anglers David Ball of Cedar Grove, Billy Carroll of Fayetteville and C. Shane Burns of Durham also earned checks. Ball placed 15th with 18-9, winning $648; Carroll was 19th with 18-4, winning $601; and Burns took 22nd with 17-12, winning $555.
Thrift, Baumgardner place in FLW
Bryan Thrift of Shelby and Chris Baumgardner of Gastonia had paydays at the Aug. 23-26 FLW Tour event on the Detroit River.
Thrift finished 33rd with 35 pounds, 12 ounces to collect $9,360; Baumgardner was 53rd with 33-6 and won $3,467.
Larry Nixon of Bee Branch, Ark., took first place and $100,000 with 84-11.
Yadkin Team Tournament,
High Rock Lake, Sept. 15
1. Bobby Lovings (Salisbury)-Dwight Morgan (Gold Hill), 16.62, $475; 2. David Wright-Chris Brown (Lexington), 15.50, $250; 3. Danny Lawson-Jimmy Frazier (Mocksville), 15.37, $141; 4. Ray Hinkle (Welcome)-David Berrier (Lexington), 13.58, $110. Big fish: Lovings-Morgan, 5.91, $104.
SOUTHERN CHAMPIONSHIP TRAIL
High Rock Lake, Sept. 8
1. Scott Threadgill (Troy)-Jason Threadgill (Albemarle), 18.51, $700; 2. Randy Weddington-Ronnie Smith (China Grove), 17.74, $300; 3. Michael Kinard (Mt. Pleasant )-Brian Burris (New London), 17.59, $120. Big fish: Carty Sealy (Lexington)-Derrick Loflin, 5.46 pounds, $160.
ADAM & EVE TRAIL
Tuckertown Lake, Sept. 15
1. John Haywod-Samantha Haywood, 14-0, $150; 2. Mark Bayse-Audrey Bayse (Thomasville), 13-8, $90; 3. RonNelson -Carmen Nelson, 10-9, $60. Big fish: John Haywood, Samantha Haywood, 5-10, $60.
PIEDMONT BASS CLASSICS
Falls of Neuse Lake, Aug. 25
1. Ben Cannon (Apex)-Ken Wall (Asheboro), 18.08, $3,340; 2. Joe Langley (Benson)-Brian Fritts (Raleigh), 14.21, $700; 3. Jeff Vincent (Durham)-Tim Goss (Creedmoor), 13.35, $390; 4. Barry Kleinfelter (Stem)-Bryce McClenney (Raleigh), 12.03, $250; 5. Jason Suggs (Fayetteville)-Calton Hall (Stedman), 11.42, $100. Big fish: Cannon-Wall, 7.40, $252.
Jordan Lake, Sept. 9
1. Chad Craven (Raleigh)-Tommy Farley (Colonial Heights, Va.), 8.67, $520; 2. Jay Garrard (Durham)-Mark Herndon (Bahama), 8.57, $280. Big fish: Craven-Farley, 4.02 pounds, $126.
Falls of Neuse Lake, Sept. 16
1. Chad Craven (Raleigh)-Tommy Farley (Colonial Heights, Va.), 18.36, $520; 2. Jeremy Martin-Charley Vaughn (Rougemont), 16.76, $280. Big fish: Martin-Vaughn, 6.34 pounds, $140.
STRIPED BASS TOURNAMENTS
TAR HEEL STRIPER CLUB
Lake Rhodhiss, Sept. 15
1. Mike Hill-Jeff Moore, 24.95, plus 11.1 big fish; 2. Ronnie Cook-Mike Mize-David Lucas (Randleman), 23.00; 3. Johnny Young-Janet Bruner, 22.55; 4. Robert Steele (Lexington)-Robert Woodward (Charlotte), 18.75; 5. Willie Duvall-Phil Gray-Roger Hill, 18.60.
CAROLINA COACH & MARINE TRAIL
Entry fee: $80 per boat, $25 membership fee per person
Contact: www.teamprobass.com or call 1-800-Boat-Dealer.
Saturday Trail: Nov. 24, Dec. 1, Dec. 15, Dec. 22, Jan. 5, Jan. 12, Jan. 26. Sunday Trail: Nov. 11, Nov. 18, Dec. 9, Dec. 16, Dec. 30, Jan. 6, Jan. 20.
SOUTHERN CRAPPIE TOURNAMENT TRAIL
Entry fee: $90 per event, $35 membership fee per person
Sept. 29 at Kerr Lake "Open," Clarksville, Va., Bobcatís Bait & Tackle; Oct. 13 at High Rock, Hillís Minnow Farm; Nov. 3 at Jordan Lake, Fiddle Stix; Nov. 17 at Lake Oconee, S.C./Ga., The Water Front at Lake Oconee Marina; Dec. 1 at Lake Wateree, S.C., Clear Water Cove Marina; Jan. 5 at Stumpy Pond/Fishing Creek, S.C., Cedar Creek Bait & Tackle; Feb. 16 at Lake Greenwood, S.C., Charlie Bís; March 2 at Clarks Hill, Ga., Soap Creek Marina; March 29-30 at Lake Oconee, S.C./Ga., The Water Front at Lake Oconee Marina; March 30, Southern Crappie Kids, Lake Oconee, The Water Front at Lake Oconee Marina.
|Bubba Owens, Keaton Moore, Brandon Tate and Jachob Moore (front), won the Sept. 15 NCCATS at High Rock with 92.1 pounds of cats, including a 52.4-pound flathead that was biggest ever caught at High Rock in an NCCATS event.|
CarolinaSportsman.com is a supplement to Carolina Sportsman Magazine.
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 Carolina Sportsman, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please contact our WebMaster if you experience problems with the website.